Creamy Sauerkraut Spread with Bacon, Garlic & Shallots is a great addition to any well-rounded #snackuterie menu. This is not your typical dip or spread – its tangy, bacon-y, garlic-y goodness makes it completely crave-worthy. Enjoy as a dip with crackers, veggies, meatballs and wings, or spread it on sandwiches, sliders and burgers for a wonderfully flavorful twist!
This post was sponsored by Frank’s Kraut. I received compensation and product related to this post, but all opinions, and a life-long love of good kraut, are my own. I’m thrilled for the opportunity to partner with Frank’s Kraut and help inspire others to create unique and delicious kraut recipes!
What You’ll Need
- Frank’s Kraut
- Fresh shallots & garlic
- Cream cheese
- Fresh parsley
- Salt & pepper – optional
- A small mixing bowl
What’s To Love
This flavorful sauerkraut spread is easy to make – and make ahead – and it makes enough for a crowd. It’s perfect for dipping or spreading, and it adds an absolutely addictive layer of flavor to just about anything you serve it with. It’s a party platter recipe that everyone we’ve served it to absolutely loves! And that’s why it’s now here on the blog where I get to share it with you!
Here’s The Story
This sauerkraut spread recipe only has a few ingredients so use the best ones you can find – it’ll make all the difference! Start with Frank’s Kraut for the best flavor. Use your favorite bacon and fry it up fresh. Get the good cream cheese and quality mayo. Use fresh garlic and shallots, and please, please use fresh parsley… Dried parsley just won’t cut it in this recipe. If you’re worried about having a big bunch of fresh parsley left over (I hear you!), use it for another wonderfully flavorful recipe like chimichurri sauce!
- 7 slices cooked bacon (reserve 3 slices for garnish)
- ¼ cup shallots, finely chopped
- 2 cloves fresh garlic - finely chopped
- ⅓ cup sauerkraut - drained & finely chopped
- 8 ounces cream cheese - softened at room temperature
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley - finely chopped, plus more for garnish
- Cook bacon in a fry pan over medium heat just until it starts to crisp. Transfer cooked bacon to a paper towel to cool. When cool, finely chop 4 strips of bacon to mix into the spread. Roughly chop the other 3 strips for garnish, and set aside.
- Pour excess bacon drippings from pan (strain and reserve for another use). Cook shallots and garlic in the same pan for a minute or two – just until they start to become fragrant, tender and translucent.
- In a small bowl, combine all ingredients, cover, and refrigerate for several hours to two days to allow flavors to marry.
- To Serve: Place spread in a serving bowl, and garnish with reserved chopped bacon and fresh parsley. Serve as a dip with crackers, veggies, meatballs and wings, or spread it on sandwiches, sliders and burgers.
If preparing this recipe a day or two before serving, cover and refrigerate the roughly chopped bacon and fresh parsley (for garnish) separately. Top the spread with bacon and parsley just before serving.
This sauerkraut spread is delicious right after combining the ingredients, but the flavors definitely become richer with time.
Recipe adapted from Foodista.
Craving more kraut?
Here are couple of other delicious kraut recipes that we’ve recently created… Enjoy!
- It’s the epitome of comfort food: Creamy butter-mashed potatoes studded with sweet corn and highlighted with the unmistakable umami of kraut. Potato, Corn and Kraut Gratin probably isn’t one of the first things you think of when planning a dinner or party menu, but that could change very quickly once you try it!
- This Spaghetti Squash and Sauerkraut Casserole has plenty of tangy kraut flavor combined with freshly roasted spaghetti squash, celery, red onions and cherry tomatoes. We even melted a little Gruyere on top for good measure. It’s colorful and light, and makes a hearty, delicious side dish or meatless main.
Need more fun ideas for your next party?
- Check out our fabulous Snackuterie Platter recipes (coming this week!!) – it’s all about bright, beautiful flavors! Everything can be made in advance so it’s ready to go when you want to entertain, and there’s literally something for everyone!
‘Celebrate Flavor, Celebrate with Frank’s’
Frank’s Kraut is a 4th generation family-owned business, and it’s the #1 brand here in the Midwest. They have a lot of pride in their business, and they love showing people great ways to enjoy their product. I’m thrilled beyond words to help inspire others by partnering with Frank’s Kraut to create delicious kraut recipes!
Interested in more kraut recipes? Frank’s has lots of them on their website, and they’re always showing fun and delicious ideas from cooks, restaurants and bloggers on their social media channels. You can find Frank’s on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, and YouTube.
Making this Sauerkraut Spread recipe?
I’d love to hear about it!
Make sure to hashtag #baconfatte or tag @baconfatte in your social media posts!